Guided by the mission statement of Dallas Nursing Institute, the Nursing Admission Committee selects applicants—who meet the Specific Pre-Admission Educational Requirements—for admission to the Vocational Nursing and Associate Degree of Nursing programs.
Learn more about our admission requirements for the RN to BSN program.
General Pre-Admission Requirements
Applicants are admitted to the school on a term basis.
General requirements include:
- Completed application form
- Non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript of all high school credits, or, if applicable, an official General Education Test (G.E.D.) certificate
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Be at least 17 years of age (in accordance with Texas laws, if under 18, a parent or legal guardian signature is required prior to enrollment)
Specific Pre-Admission Educational Requirements
Standardized Test Requirements for Admission — all accepted applicants must achieve performance on one of the following:
- An American College Test (ACT) score within the last five years with a composite score of 19 or above or
- A Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score within the last five years with a composite score of 1350 or above; or
- The VN Admission Assessment HESI A2 Exam minimum score taken at DNI within the last two years with a score of 80 on Reading Comprehension and 75 on Math and a maximum of one retake attempt of either or both sections
Applicant must complete an essay scored by program director or designee.
Applicant must pass a drug screen (Board of Nursing 213.29 Criteria and Procedure Regarding Intemperate Use and Lack of Fitness in Eligibility and Disciplinary Matters).
Applicant background check must meet the Board of Nursing 213.28 criteria regarding Licensure of Person with Criminal Offenses. Minor criminal offenses (Class C misdemeanor(s)) will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Decision of the Executive Director is final.
About the Texas Board of Nursing Background Clearance (Blue Card)
The Texas Board of Nursing (BON) requires all students to meet eligibility requirements before enrolling into a nursing school program. Students who meet these requirements and have a clear background check will be issued a blue card as proof of eligibility. For information on receiving a blue card please call DNI’s Office of Admissions at 888-201-8806.